Saturday, November 19, 2011

What is the best measure of central tendency if I have a four-point scale in a survey?

I heard from a friend that MEDIAN is used for four-point scale and MEAN for higher number of points but it was not explained why.





Need your help. I am doing a survey for my thesis using 1 to 4 to scale Poor to Excellent.

What is the best measure of central tendency if I have a four-point scale in a survey?
I would think the mean would be the more sensible central tendency to use because the scale is set....meaning it has set range of 1-4.





From what i know, medians are good to use when there is wide gap in range or when there is a "loner number."





For example, if your data set was: 1, 3, 3, 5, 5, 9, 192384. Then median would be used and 192384 would be the "loner number"





But if the range is limited from 1-4 i would think the best to represent the central tendency would be mean.





I might be wrong though...which central tendency should be used also depends on the "type of prediction" you're trying to make.





If your still unsure, just provide both the mean and median on your thesis.


No comments:

Post a Comment